THU representative council
By a decision N1 of 13 April 2013
Modified by a decision N1 of 15 February 2016
Modified by a decision N2 of 24 March 2018
Internal Regulations of Tbilisi Humanitarian Teaching University
Article 1 General provisions
1. The Internal Regulations of Tbilisi Humanitarian Teaching University (hereinafter THU or University) was prepared on the basis of the organic Law of Georgia “Labour Code of Georgia”, the Law of Georgia on Higher Education, and the Regulation of Tbilisi Humanitarian Teaching University;
2. The Internal Regulations represents a combination of the code of conduct applicable at THU, and shall regulate the relations between the students and the University, the students and the academic personnel, also between the employees and the University, shall determine their rights and obligations, and the ethical norms of the students and professors and teachers of the University.
3. It shall be obligatory to fulfil the Internal Regulations.
Article 2 Work schedule
1. The daily working hours of THU is from 09:00 to 21:00, except for weekends and holidays; On Saturdays – working hours is from 09:00 to 18:00;
2. Sunday is the holiday at THU;
3. The work schedule of the academic personnel of THU shall be determined on the basis of the employment agreement concluded between the academic personnel; late appearance by the academic personnel at the classes held in the lecture rooms, or missing of such classes without reasonable grounds shall be impermissible; if classes in the lecture rooms fail due to unreasonable grounds, or in the case of being late at classes held in the lecture rooms for more than 10 minutes, the proportional part from the salary of the lecturer shall be deducted;
4. In the case of missing classes held in the lecture rooms on the excusable grounds, the academic personnel and the invited personnel shall inform thereon 1 working day, the faculty dean and the coordinator of the educational process, who ensure the replacement of the missing dean of the faculty by another academic personnel of the faculty, or the one-time correction of the timetable (where it is possible), and who ensure the information of the students on the fact of missing the classes and on changes made to the timetable. It shall be impermissible to let other persons (persons who have no labour relations with THU) to the classes held in lecture rooms on the place of academic and invited personnel;
5. The lectures missed by excusable and inexcusable grounds shall be repeatedly held; Lectures missed because of holidays shall also be repeatedly held.
6. THU shall carry out the registration of time of appearance of the academic and invited personnel at the job place, and the time of leaving of the University by the academic and invited personnel;
7. The work schedule of the technical personnel of THU shall be determined on the basis of the employment agreement signed with them; it shall be impermissible to systematically break the work schedule (more than 3 times a month); in the case of the systematic violation of the work schedule (appearing late at school and/or leaving the work place early), the rector shall be authorized to deduct the salary from the employee proportionally and/or apply adequate disciplinary sanctions;
8. The work schedule of the administrative personnel of THU shall be determined on the basis of the employment agreement signed with them; it shall be impermissible to systematically break the work schedule (more than 3 times a month); in the case of the systematic violation of the work schedule (appearing late at school and/or leaving the work place early), the rector shall be authorized to deduct the salary from the employee proportionally and/or apply adequate disciplinary sanctions;
9. All structural units of THU shall operate in accordance with the work schedule of the University, unless different work schedule is determined by the Regulations of the structural unit.
Article 3 Educational schedule
1. Educational process in Tbilisi Humanitarian Teaching University shall take place during 38 weeks (from 2013-2017 academic year - 42 weeks). The educational process shall take place in two semesters - autumn and spring semesters. The duration of one semester comprises 19 weeks (21 weeks - from 2016-2017 academic years).
2. The timetable of lectures at THU shall be approved by the appropriate faculty dean and educational process manager; the timetable shall be published at THU website, also in the hall of THU building; the timetable for one educational day shall not envisage more than 6 academic hours for each group; THU shall ensure that the lectures during one academic day are consistent and that there are no vacant hours between the lectures;
3. On the basis of a justified application of the student, the Faculty provides individual teaching process for the student based on the decision of the Dean of the Faculty; Decision of the Dean of the Faculty may be appealed at the Faculty Council; Decision of the Faculty council is final;
4. Regular attendance is mandatory and is subject to observation; In case of absence from more than 40% of active hours provided by the student's syllabus (except for hours for independent work), in the respective study discipline the credit to be awarded according to the syllabus will no longer be available.
5. Period of lectures constitutes of – 50 astronomical minutes, with following schedule:
I. 9.00 – 9.50; break - 10 minutes;
II. 10.00 – 10.50; break - 10 minutes;
III. 11.00 – 11.50; break - 10 minutes;
IV. 12.00 – 12.50; break - 10 minutes;
V. 13.00 – 13.50; break - 10 minutes;
VI. 14.00 – 14.50; break - 10 minutes;
VII. 15.00 – 15.50; break - 10 minutes;
VIII. 16.00 – 16.50; break - 10 minutes;
IX. 17.00 – 17.50; break – 10 minutes;
X. 18.00 – 18.50; break – 10 minutes;
XI. 19.00 – 19.50; break – 10 minutes;
XII. 20.00- 20.50;
6. Classes at THU as a rule are appointed in the period from 09.00 a.m. to 17.50 p.m; For the Master’s educational program students’ and students with individual study schedule classes may be appointed during the evening hours (non-working hours):
X. 18.00 – 18.50; break - 10 minutes;
XI. 19.00 – 19.50; break - 10 minutes;
XII. 20.00 – 20.50;
7. After the start of the classes in the lecture room, order shall be maintained in the lecture room and the hall.
8. The week of preliminary exams shall be determined once during the academic semester, by the relevant faculty; during the week of preliminary exams there will be no classes in the lecture room held; In next academic week after the week of preliminary exams repeatedly exams are held in case of the need, however this shall not interfere with ongoing study process (coincidence is prohibited);
9. During the procedure of the examination session, the exams shall not coincide with each-other; it shall be impermissible to appoint more than 1 exam on the same day;
10. In one academic discipline the interval between the main and additional examination comprises no less than 5 calendar days.
Article 4 Students’ rights and obligations
1. Main object of study at THU is to receive quality education;
2. A student shall have the right to:
a) Receive quality education;
b) Use under equal conditions the logistical, library, information and other means of THU;
c) elect, on the basis of universal, direct and equal elections, a representative and be elected in the students’ self-government council, also in the representative council and faculty council of THU;
d) found and/or join the students’ organization freely, in accordance with his/her interests;
e) freely express his/her opinion and state reasonable refusal to share those ideas, which are offered during the procedure of educational process;
f) move to another higher educational university as provided for by the legislation of Georgia, and to take the state educational stipend obtained by him/her;
g) receive from THU or other sources a stipend, financial and material assistance, and other privileges;
h) choose an educational program;
i) participate in the development of unified educational program;
j) make assessment of academic personnel gradually;
k) appeal a decision taken against THU to a court;
l) exercise other powers granted to him/her by the legislation of Georgia.
3. Personal information which is expressed by a student in the presence of the academic personnel, also information on his/her own viewpoint, belief and political belief, which has become known to him/her during the procedure of the educational process, also information with regard to disciplinary measures to be taken against a student shall be confidential, except for the cases, if there is a student’s permission thereto, and the lawful interest of THU to protect other’s safety and rights protected by law.
4. A student shall be obliged to study all subjects according to the program established by THU, which has been chosen by the student at his/her own will and the study of which shall be compulsory for such student, to observe the provisions of the Statute, Regulations, the Internal Regulations of THU, and comply with other internal regulation acts, including with the decision taken by representative and academic councils, orders of the rector of THU, faculty council decisions, and obligations under the agreement signed with THU on rendering educational services.
Article 5 Ethical code of conduct of students
1. A student shall be obliged to comply with the provisions of Internal Regulations applicable in THU, educational discipline, and to facilitate the improvement of the image of THU with his/her own behaviour;
2. A student shall show care towards material and technical values of THU, library funds, computers, etc.
3. A student shall be prohibited to:
a) stay at the University in the alcoholic intoxication condition;
b) use toxic and narcotic substance.
4. The following actions shall be deemed the violation of ethical standards by a student:
a) be in impolite verbal controversy with other students;
b) initiating physical conflict with other students and/or be involved in such conflict;
c) use impolite words in the social networks on the official website of THU;
d) use a mobile telephone during the classes;
e) enter the classes with food products;
f) behave during the classes in such manner that would hinder other participants of the educational process - lecturers, other students;
g) insult academic personnel;
h) insult administration personnel;
i) insult assisting personnel;
j) other behavior that would hinder the educational process, and degrade the image of the education process and of THU itself.
5. Students shall be prohibited to use other’s works (plagiarism), to rewrite (so called ‘cabs’ ), or prompt during the educational activities. Such work will not be evaluated.
Article 6 Rights of students’ self-government bodies
1. A students’ self-government body, elected according to the main educational units shall be established at THU on the basis of a secret ballot, universal, equal and direct elections.
2. A students’ self-government body shall work out the Regulations of the students’ self-government body, and shall function in accordance with such Regulations;
3. A students’ self-government body’s supreme organ is General Meeting, which created students’ self-government council and elects president of students’ self-government body.
4. Students’ self-government council is elected by students’ self-government body’s general meeting for the period of 2 years and is led by the president of students’ self-government body, who is elected for the duration of 2 years by students’ self-government body’s general meeting;
5. On the basis of its Regulations, the students’ self-government body shall:
a) ensure the participation of students in the management of THU and the faculty;
b) facilitate the protection of students’ rights;
c) elect representatives at representative and faculty councils of THU;
d) be authorized to work out proposals for the improvement of THU management system and of the quality of education;
e) exercise other powers provided for by the Regulations.
6. The teachers and professors of the University, as well as the administrative personnel of the University shall have the right to be engaged in the activities of the students’ self-government body.
Article 7 General obligations of THU towards the students
1. The University shall be obliged to ensure fair assessment of a student’s knowledge, and to work out appropriate procedure with that regard.
2. The University shall be prohibited to use its own powers and logistical base in the manner that would pose a threat of initiating censure, or would restrict a student’s freedom of expressions, except for the exclusions determined on the basis of the legislation of Georgia and the Regulations;
3. The University shall ensure the creation of necessary conditions for obtaining complete education by students with disabilities, as provided for by the legislation of Georgia.
4. The University shall be obliged to honestly fulfil the obligations under the agreement signed with a student on rendering educational services.
5. University is obliged to respect and protect students personal information according to
Law of Georgia “on Personal Data Protection”.
Article 8 Rights and obligations of employees of THU and ethical code of conduct of the academic personnel
1. Human resources of the University consists of the administration, academic and assistance personnel, also of invited personnel (senior teachers and teachers), and freelance employees on the basis of the term employment agreement;
2. Current management of human resources shall be ensured by a human resources manager;
3. Employees of the University shall be obliged to comply with the Statute, Regulations, this Internal Regulations of THU, and with other internal regulation acts of THU, including decisions taken by representative and academic councils of THU, and orders of the rector, decisions of the faculty council, and the obligations under the employment agreements signed with THU.
4. The academic personnel shall have the right to:
a) participate in the management of the University;
b) carry out educational, research, creative activities without intervention, and publish scientific works;
c) independently define the contents of educational course programs (syllabuses), the methods and means of education within the educational program framework;
d) exercise other powers granted to him/her by the legislation of Georgia.
5. Academic personnel shall be obliged to:
a) comply with the Statute, Regulations, this Internal Regulations of THU, and with other internal regulation acts of THU, including decisions taken by representative and academic councils of THU, and orders of the rector, decisions of the faculty council, and the obligations under the employment agreements signed with THU.
b) comply with ethical norms under the given Internal Regulations;
6. THU shall ensure freedom of education and research to be carried out by the academic personnel, and the creation of conditions favourable for the activities of the academic personnel.
7. The employees of the University shall be obliged to ensure the consolidation and improvement of the authority of the University;
8. The academic personnel shall be prohibited to:
a) behave irrelevantly that is inappropriate to a professor and a teacher;
b) have influence on the results of examination of students, biased assessment;
c) conceal the facts of forgery, the cases of protection and other analogous facts;
d) miss the lecture and be late for the lecture;
e) present/use forged documents;
f) unreasonable deviation from syllabus;
g) make political and religious proclamations during the lectures;
h) render additional services to his/her own students for his/her own benefit, including the offering of private lessons to students during the non-working hours;
i) on any ground making discriminative statements or taking such action or treatment.
9. Private life of an university employee shall be inviolable. Meanwhile the university employee shall realize that his/her human values, spiritual and civil values shall be exemplary for students;
10. There shall be healthy collaboration between the professors, teachers and students.
11. The academic personnel shall be obliged to fulfil the duties before THU and not to occupy such academic position at a university with such status, which, for the purposes of authorization and accreditation, based on the legislation of Georgia, shall entail the necessity of the review of the matter whether or not to include such employee in the academic personnel of THU; Affiliated academic personnel is obliged to respect terms of affiliation outlined in employment agreement and THU regulation.
12. Human resources manager shall be authorized to gradually verify against the registry of LEPL National Centre For Education Quality Enhancement, the data on the employment of the academic personnel of THU at other educational institutions;
13. It shall be prohibited to establish structural units of political and religious organizations in the University.
Article 9 Disciplinary persecution
1. Disciplinary persecution against a student shall be proportional to a disciplinary misconduct and may be applied only in the cases and in accordance with the procedures provided for by the Regulations of THU and its Internal Regulations, in compliance with the law of Georgia on Higher Education, through fair procedures.
2. The commencement of disciplinary persecution against a student shall not restrict the student’s right to participate in the educational process, except for the cases provided for by the Internal Regulations;
3. During the disciplinary persecution proceedings against a student, the restriction of his/her attendance on the education process shall be permissible as a temporary measure, if his/her participation in the educational process poses threat to other’s rights, health, property and safety of the educational institution, and to the educational process; temporary restriction of the access of the student to the educational process shall be permissible only by the decision of the disciplinary commission;
4. Disciplinary persecution against a student shall be carried out by a disciplinary commission established by the faculty council, where 5 members of the council shall be included;
5. Disciplinary commission of the faculty shall be headed by the faculty dean, where also no less than 1 student shall be included; the disciplinary commission shall be convened by the instruction of the faculty dean, at his/her own initiative, or on the basis of the application of an interested person;
6. The matter of disciplinary persecution of a student shall be resolved by the disciplinary commission of the faculty council, based on the decision of which, an order of the rector of THU shall be issued with regard to the imposition of disciplinary sanction.
7. The students shall have the right to attend the process of the review of his/her case within the disciplinary commission;
8. The disciplinary commission shall study the case of disciplinary misconduct, it shall be authorized to interrogate an interested person, employees of the University and students as witnesses; the disciplinary commission shall establish the fact of violation of the Regulations and Internal Regulations of THU, and if such violation is proved to have taken place, it shall be authorized to determine the imposition of appropriate measure that is proportional to the violation, based on the gravity of violation and the adequacy of the influence on the violator.
9. During the disciplinary proceedings, the student shall have the right to:
a) take a reasonable decision in the written form with regard to initiating disciplinary proceedings against him/her;
b) attend the process of the discussion of disciplinary proceedings and enjoy the right to be protected;
c) provide a disciplinary commission with available information and evidence;
d) participate in the investigation of evidence obtained by the disciplinary commission;
e) require that the case on disciplinary measures against him/her is heard on the open hearing.
10. During the hearing of the matter regarding the disciplinary proceedings the burden of proof shall lie upon the accusing party. A decision on the conduct of disciplinary proceedings shall be grounded and shall be based on evidence obtained on the basis of the legislation of Georgia and the Internal Regulations of THU. All evidence that are the grounds of initiating disciplinary proceedings shall be investigated by the disciplinary commission.
11. In the case of verification of the fact of violating the Regulations and the Internal Regulations of THU by a student, the disciplinary commission shall request the rector of THU (submit his/her won grounded decision on the review of the matter, as well as the draft order of the rector) to apply one of the following disciplinary sanctions against a student:
a) written warning (main);
b) strict warning (main);
c) reimbursement of damages/losses, if such has occurred (additional);
d) the last warning (main- during 1 study semester - during repeated violation, after warning or strict warning);
e) Termination of student status (exclusion from the university) - is used in extreme or severe violation in which case continuation of studies by a student at THU makes it impossible to protect the rights and/or safety of others;
b) make apologies publicly (main; shall be used in the case there is a lawful interest of the University to protect the rights protected by other’s law);
c) make apologies in writing (main);
d) compensation of the loss incurred, if there was any (additional);
e) the last warning (main - 1 during the academic semester - repeated violation);
f) termination of the students’ status of a student (exclusion from the University) - shall be applied during the extremely serious or gross violation, during which the continuation of education in THU by the student makes it impossible to protect other’s rights and safety and/or to continue the educational process;
12. The student shall have the right to appeal to a court the decision taken within the disciplinary persecution;
13. Information on the disciplinary sanction applied against a student, as a rule shall be confidential;
14. The matter on the violation of the Internal Regulations and/or employment agreement by the assisting personnel or administrative position holders who have been appointed to their positions without elections, as well as by the invited personnel shall be reviewed by the rector or by the pro-rector by the instruction of the rector;
15. The matter on the violation of the Internal Regulations and/or employment agreement by the administrative position holders who have been appointed to their positions on the basis of elections, as well as by the academic personnel, shall be reviewed by the academic council of THU; for the investigation of the fact of violation, the academic council shall establish a disciplinary commission, for the term of office of the academic council, composed of 3 members, and headed by the rector;
16. In the cases of disciplinary violation, the violation of the terms of the Internal Regulations or employment agreement, the following disciplinary sanctions shall be applied:
c) severe reprimand;
d) withholding of salary (proportional to the contents of the violation);
e) compensation of incurred damage (main, additional);
f) dismissal from the position.
17. The employee shall have the right to appeal a decision taken during the disciplinary persecution against him/her to a court, as provided for by the legislation of Georgia.
Article 10 Safe environment
THU shall work out effective mechanisms for the protection and safety, fire safety measures and measures for rendering first medical aid for students and human resources of the University;
Article 11 Encouragement of employees and students
1. In accordance with the Regulations of THU, the rector of THU shall be authorized, for the purposes of the motivation and encouragement of employees, to apply the following measures of encouragement:
a) express appreciation;
2. In accordance with the Regulations of THU, the rector of THU shall be authorized, for the purposes of the motivation and encouragement of students, to apply the following measures of encouragement:
a) express appreciation;
b) giving educational items as gifts;
c) issuing a one-time stipend;
d) designate a semester stipend;
e) reduce the education fee;
F) finance study visits partially or completely.